This is what I had finished of it, almost one section, before abandoning the project. It definitely gives me some ideas! I still love this project, but I had put it aside because the mauve plaid that I had used proved to be a definite early fader on friends' quilts. I couldn't see investing so much more time once that was apparent. (Is the word 'mauve' even used anymore?)
These blocks are a bit more refined that my usual preference, but they really came alive when I sewed the four together. They were a summer project, mostly stitched while sitting outside at the Cleveland Art Museum cafe, sipping iced tea on hot, lazy afternoons while Molly & K were taking art lessons there. Funny how just looking at an old project can bring you immediately back to where and when you made it.
It was my first foray into red & green applique, using what fabrics were available from the paltry selection at the time. Examining the blocks, I can see my younger self experimenting with techniques. One of the blocks' background fabrics is whole, intact, while three have been cut away underneath the plaid, before the center applique, to reduce the layers through which I'd have to quilt.
Look, I even left a threaded needle in my in-progress work, ready to pick up and go when I got back to it. Little did I suspect that I would be pulling it out like this more than 25 years later!
Molly's favorite CMA art project ever ~ a personalized chair,
assembled from cartons & embellished with paint and cutouts
I found the original paper draft of the design and it's reminded me of how I approached this so that will be helpful. I'm thinking about these pieces, so long buried in the back of the closet. Although I won't ever use that center section, I've always wanted to make an 'orphan block' quilt and I think the border would be perfect for that. Add another project to the list!