I haven't literally taken the process pledge, but I do support it wholeheartedly and have always tried to share what I'm doing, not just finished products. (Otherwise, I'd be posting 3 or 4 times a year!) Sometimes I hesitate to write about something that may be what everyone's doing anyhow, but invariably, someone comments that it was helpful and that always makes me happy that I went ahead a wrote about it. Like today.
When I started making GFG blocks, I'd prepare my hexagons, thread my needle and assemble them willy-nilly, stitching until my thread ran out. Up, down, left and right, there was no regular sequencing, which made it difficult to pick something out if necessary because it was impossible to figure out where the threads started or ended.
Click for closer view
Looking for some border inspiration, I was recently thumbing through an old issue of Quilts Japan that was dedicated to Grandmother's Flower Garden quilts and came across this piecing diagram. Brilliant! I've since used this sequencing and highly recommend it. Basically, you sew the 6 hexagons to the center piece in a continuous line. Then you go back and sew the side seams, one by one. Continue the next row the same way...attach the hexagons around the center flower-ette in a continuous line of stitching, then go back and sew those side seams one by one.
One thing I particularly like about this method is that it makes it a much easier project to 'pick up and go' with. Preparing multiple blooms by attaching the hexes around the center, you can take each block as a single unit, throw a needle and matching thread in your bag and sew those side seams while traveling or out & about. Much less fuss than packing baggies of hexes and working out assembly sequences away from your favorite workspot. Is this how you do it? Am I the last one to the party?
Some of you have asked about our new yard so here are before and after photos. The previous owner of our home had been a serious gardener but had spent several of her last summers here vacationing in Wisconsin. Bushes were overgrown, plants were badly in need of thinning and invasive vines with tenacious, woody roots, entangled everything. M & I naively planned to reclaim the yard space little by little but this spring threw in the towel after days of doing backbreaking, sweaty battle with it all.
First, we had the tree people come in and remove 7 wild yews and trim up the large silver maples. Then the landscapers arrived, cleaning out everything and setting aside over 60 hostas and some lilies for replanting. A mere two days later....
Voila! Although some areas look almost a little bare to us, I can't tell you how much stress was relieved by biting the bullet and having someone else take care of this for us. Now that the bushes are gone, there are sunny spots for a cutting garden next summer. And bulbs...I'll be planting lots of those this fall, too. Though we're enjoying the luscious greens out there, now we need some color!!