Juggling so many active projects was starting to get messy...piles of fabric everywhere, strips and blocks competing for space on the flannel wall. Sometimes I thrive in a big fabric mess and sometimes, like this week, it starts to get on my nerves. This top was close to being done so I spent a few hours yesterday finishing it up.
I often insert a narrow inner border around the center patchwork to set it off a bit from the chosen border treatment. This time I decided on a solid black which is barely discernible from a distance, but sets off the sawtooth edge nicely, I think. The edging is comprised of 2" half square triangles. They seemed giant compared to my other ongoing project!
With the intention of hand quilting this top, I cut the borders wider that my intended finish size to allow more cloth to grab in the hoop. But now I think the wider borders set off the center better. It makes me cringe a little to tell you that I originally planned a 6" border because I'd like to hang this in a space that won't take a larger quilt. Sort of like buying a painting to match the couch.
I don't think I can ignore what the quilt is telling me. But I may just remeasure that wall before I decide.
***I realized this week that Typepad hasn't been forwarding all of your comments to me from the last few posts...but they're supposedly straightening it out today. I've tried to catch those that they missed, but it's difficult to reply outside of the forwarded format. Let me assure you, I do read them all and love to hear from you. To all of you in the states, have a wonderful holiday weekend!