I can see the eyes rolling. What is she starting now?!! I assure you, I have not put down my current ongoing projects. But I have had a problem. I belong to a wonderful weekly quilt group which, somewhat anachronistically, meets during the day from 10:00 to 3:00. It's a large group, with regular attendance between 20-30, and everyone brings handwork to work on. Inevitably, come Tuesday morning, I'm scrambling around before I leave the house, looking for something that I can work on a the meeting. The wedding quilt is too large to bring...I wouldn't want it dragging on the community room floor while I work. My applique is too fussy to work on in a social setting. (Or perhaps I should say, I'm too fussy to work on it there!) And my other projects are mostly machine work. I've occasionally grabbed the hexagon blocks...yes, still soldiering on on that project...but I've had a project in the back of my mind for a while and it occurred to me recently that it would work as meeting handwork.
I've never been a particular fan of the Dresden Plate/Wagon Wheel style of block, but when I saw these quilts in the Going West exhibit at the Renwick, they really struck me. Each was made in dark wools but it was those light spokes that made the blocks sparkle.
Additionally, I've been wanting to try some of the specialty rulers. Sheesh, I'm sounding like an old geezer here...*those new-fangled specialty rulers*. It's just that I've continued to do things mostly the way I learned to before quilting was such an industry and if something worked for me, I pretty much ignored new tools and put my money into enhancing the stash. But now I'm a convert. You really can crank out the shapes with this nifty ruler!
When I jumped into this project on the spur of the moment last week, I was planning to prep just a few blocks at a time. But with so many colors required for each wheel (20!), it was definitely a case of *in for a penny, in for a pound*. As I dragged out more and more fabrics, it was easy to see that cutting a bunch at once was the way to go.
I assembled a sample block, generously cutting the background and center to be trimmed square after completion. I made a fan top once this way and it worked well, but those spokes had been cut individually, with one edge along the straight grain, so I didn't have the problem I could see developing here...raggedy edges already! Also, since these were going to be assembled into circles, I could see that there would be fiddling necessary to match things up..the spokes, the center circle, etc. So I scrapped that idea.
Now I have a bunch of wheels assembled and a pile of spokes waiting. Today I'll cut out the centers & background blocks, mark them all for handpiecing, assemble a little bag of handsewing necessities, pack my bag and put it by the door. Let's see if this helps reduce the usual last minute flurry before I head out to our meeting. Not betting on it...it's always something!
After my last post, it sounded like everyone's been through the credit card fraud experience. Despite the inconvenience, everything was cleared up quickly. My curiosity wasn't satisfied as UPS never did show up that day with the fraudulent delivery. So no plasma TVs here after all! *grin*