I was starting to think that this mitten might never get done. Last night, however, I finally got the ends woven in and blocked it before heading to bed. There's nothing nicer than to start the day admiring your handwork from the evening before. (Because we all know how many times it doesn't look as good as we remembered it when we put it down!)
This piece is another version of my picot-edged, 72 stitch on #0 Inox dpns Latvian mittens. Happily, I seem to have found my rhythm and this one is almost identical in size to its twin, my last blue & white mitten. From reading the blogs, it seems that knitters often have a problem getting the first pair to match, size wise, which was one of the reasons I decided to knit a few singles first. That and of course, I couldn't wait to try a bunch of different pattern and color combos.
In choosing my patterns, I've tried to vary them to learn something new on each project. This time, my cuff motif was pretty large, repeating 5 times around the circumference. I centered the pattern so that almost three flowers would be featured on the back of the mitten and two on the inside. (See photos above.) I think it worked pretty well.
What didn't work well were several attempts to pair a pattern for the hand with the busy cuff. I tried (and frogged) several designs in different color combinations before settling on this intertwining graph. Its simple repeat in the maroon and raspberry colors allowed the cuff design to shine. I laugh as I type *simple*, because I also had to frog the thumb once when I realized I had messed up the pattern.
I'm planning one more trial mitten, on size #1 dpns. I knit pretty tightly and am wondering if just one size up will allow a bit more room in the fit. I don't want them loose, but I've had to block these a bit to get a comfortable fit and I don't want to add stitches to my cast on number, as 72 is *perfect*. Why? Because it's divisible by 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 18 and 24, all common numbers of repeats in cuff patterns, which allows one to just plug them in without fiddling to figure out how to integrate designs where the match abruptly stops. I'm lazy like that.
A few people wondered where I'd been last week. I had mentioned that we relisted our house but I didn't add that we hired a new realtor, one who takes a decidedly pro-active approach to sales. Translation: staging. Not extreme, but we were here such a short time that we hadn't furnished this house as we had planned, and have been using a mish-mash of family pieces that desperately need to be replaced. I couldn't see past it, but over several days we added some accent pieces and mostly just changed things around, so much so that I almost hate to leave the place now. I thought I had a pretty good eye but I learned some things last week and was pretty tuckered out by the time we finished up. The house finally listed on Thursday. Friday, at 9:00 am, we had our first showing. When I returned to the house after the prospective buyers had left, I found this note on the kitchen counter:
Congratulations!! You have even a bigger stash than I do!! Happy quilting!!
Signed: Another quilter