Sometimes I feel like a stranger in this strange land and Friday was one of those days. We'd been invited to a get-together in the evening so the morning found me thumbing through recipes, looking for something to make to take along. I settled on an old standby, Betty's peanut butter cookies, and while buzzing around the kitchen, I pondered the puzzling invitation. A cookout (got that) and corn hole tournament. ??? When the first batch got popped into the oven, I decided...a long shot... to google it. Corn hole. An official association (with hats!) Quite the sport around these parts, it turns out. It was a fun evening, though I won't be joining a league anytime soon. And speaking of strange land, this afternoon I spotted a small lizard, the rear of half of its body a blazing bright blue, running down my walkway. A escaped pet?
August has been a big washout for me. I've been at loose ends, finding it impossible to settle into a project. Or anything. An end-of-summer malaise, I'm hoping. I'm inching toward completion of my second sock which will shortly be tucked into the sock bag Molly made for me and packed. In the car. Apparently, my long roadtrip a few weeks ago was so much fun that I've decided to repeat it. Well, something like that. I've been feeling a bit guilty about neglecting the blog this month but sometimes family life distracts. September, however, is shaping up as a long stretch of quiet days. I'm looking forward to returning and locking myself in my [clean] sewing room. To mess it up, of course.
A few quick links before I go:
- Alex's beautiful star blocks over at Moonstitches.
- Mathea's kite quilt (clever use of fabrics.) While you're there, don't miss her photo-filled post about the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham.
- Knitters should check out Nanette's recent post for a photo of the difference in end results when switching dominant-hand yarn colors. (What a sentence...was that clear? Just go look.)
- I love to peek over artists' shoulders so I was happy to stumble upon this new blog, On My Desk: Creative Folk Share the Stuff on their Desks. Recently featured was one of my longtime favorite bloggers, Kim, from Something to Say.
- An interesting post that for anyone who's an Amy Butler fabric fan. (Thanks for the link, Judy.)
Ok, must go finish ironing...M's work clothes. It's another solitary drive for me, with just a few things thrown in a duffle bag, some munchies and a stack of CDs. Enjoy the these last days of summer and I'll be back after Labor Day.